PDA

View Full Version : Old E-maxx vs. New E-maxx

elbutchos1
06-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Now that i have seen both i really like the old E-maxx better.
It's not waterproof blah blah but it looks better to me.

Any other impressions regarding old and new E-maxx ?!?

strada916
06-03-2008, 10:27 PM
sorry dude have not seen ether, however from what I have read the new one (water resistant) is a far better e-maxx as they have improved quite a few parts and what not.

Others with e-maxx experience may comment other wise

jeffp
06-04-2008, 01:11 AM
The new E-Maxx is a big improvement over the old one. I had an old 3906 all done up and sold it to go to the new one. Better transmission (only single speed), when mounting a brushless motor the motor sits in the center of the chassis, chassis is already extended, dual steering servos with a better steering system, better stock electronics....

JERRY2KONE
06-04-2008, 11:51 AM
If the plan is to stay with the MFG's stock setup I supose that the new Maxx is the better of the two purely because of its water RESISTANT electronics, and geometrical layout. Still neiter of them are really worth the money if you have to upgrade half of the vehicle to handle the kind of power that you really wish to put in them. I had my stock 3906 for about two weeks, and I started looking into hop-ups and what not after I broke something the very first time. In the long run if you are serious about bashing or racing the stock truck is just a toy plain and simple. It will not hold up for very long without replacing parts on a regular basis. I am a mechanical engineer and I have grown to love building things that are nearly impossible to break. Plastic is just not the answer. Why do you think that plastic is only used as cosmetics in real cars???

If you truly want to have an E-Maxx that is worthy of competing, then you might as well do your research and get ready to spend some serious money for a project that is a lot of fun, but will take a lot of $$$$ and a lot of elbow grease to build and make it a truly bulletproof and track worthy vehicle that is not only fun to drive, but fun to work on as well. For the electric monster truck line the E-Revo, E-Savage, and the E-Maxx are the best and a lot of fun if you are really into the hobby. Unfortunately the MFG's seem to keep wanting to pump out plastic toys that just will not hold up. It would be nice to see all of them put out a nice metal reinforced stock version of these trucks that would not cost an arm and a leg to own or upkeep. I have 4 metal SuperMaxx trucks and I truly enjoy working on and playing with them. Some day I may even get into racing, but for now I am just having fun configuring different setups and learning what I can. I have conquered the mechanical part in these, but now I am learning the controller end of the hobby. There are so many different ESC's to choose from and things are getting beter and better as time goes by. So check your pocketbook and have some fun. Two thumbs down for both the old and the new stock E-Maxx trucks.

starscream
06-05-2008, 05:54 AM
e-savage is better. So there :p

elbutchos1
06-05-2008, 06:19 AM
Hello JERRY2KONE.

Have you ever tried working with teflon plastic ?!?
It's being used a where i work. And the guys say it's much tougher than other plastics. It can take much more stress without breaking as the plastics used by HPI of others. It comes with a quite high price too they say.

When they have time they will make me a couple of CVD's they said ... still waiting.

JERRY2KONE
06-05-2008, 07:40 AM
That is the cool thing about this hobby. When the MFG's give us crappy stuff we find ways to overcome using resources to produce better parts for our toys so we are not rebuilding them every time we go out to play. Yes I have used all sorts of materials, but I prefer to use some kind of indestructable metal if possible. Thats just me. Thanks for the input though.

lilredmachine
06-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Plastic is just not the answer. Why do you think that plastic is only used as cosmetics in real cars???

I like a good bit of alloy as much as the next one man, but there are many cars/planes/vehicles in general that utilise composites in their structures. You can make plastic that is extremely tough and flexible, yet you can get an alloy chassis that will tweak extremely easily (XTM Mammoth ST for example).

It's just down to the overall design and useage of materials to make something strong, rather than the materials themselves. Though I'm pretty sure I'm just teaching you to suck eggs here lol.

On the subject of Old vs. new E-maxx, neither. They both follow the same basic design with the same weak bulkhead setup that is still a pig to replace. So there's some seals and silicone to make it waterproof, and a goofy looking off center tranny, it'll still break if you look at it wrong.

JERRY2KONE
06-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Yes you are correct about the toughness of some plastics, and flexing and tweaking can be of use in some applications yet cause failures in others. There is still no way for composites to compare or hold up to the amount of punishment that a lot of us put our R/C toys through over the years. You can play the devils advocate and defend the use of plastics in a lot of areas in our hobby, but I guess I would have to say it all balances out in the long run. If you use plastic you will inevitibly have to replace stuff along the way adding up repair costs. If you use good finely machined alloys they can last for years, but cost you more up front. I like building things that last right from the start and avoid the constant rebuilding of one vehicle due to weak parts. Like I said thats just me. Besides after years of being a mechanic I like working with precision machined parts that are of high quality. Plastic just cannot measure up no matter how you look at it, but we all have our own level of taste.

elbutchos1
06-06-2008, 01:07 PM
I work in the plastics moulding industries.
I saw the light . :D . I have seen fiber glass reinforced plastics and stuff like that. Model makers don't use this stuff because the total costs of a vehicle would probably double ... or triple.

Thou i would like to see a stock E-maxx or whatever rc car made of these very stress resistent plastics.

One question ... don't alloy parts bend on hard impacts ?!? Don't get me wrong. i would love to hae one of these ....

JERRY2KONE
06-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Lets be real here, just about anythign will bend if you apply enough pressure to it. If you are doing things to your R/C vehicle to deform metal, then maybe you need to rethink your approach to your driving. Yes we all make mistakes, but why not prepare for the worst up front. Your point is right on though. The R/C MFG's just do not use the really good composite stuff, because it would cost even more than the metal stuff we use now. So once again the bottom line is how much are you willing to spend on your toys? Good luck with your choices.

lilredmachine
06-06-2008, 05:21 PM
I'd like to point out that the new Revo uses a plastic chassis over a metal one, and it was getting blasted over on RCU until a few pointed out that the stock Revo chassis can be bent pretty easily, whereas the plastic will flex a bit.

Obviously not too much though, because Traxxas rate it as the best handling Revo platform of all.

JERRY2KONE
06-06-2008, 07:09 PM
So your point would have to be that the old Revo metal chassis was poorly designed and made. So yes even metal can be a weak point if not machined or formed properly. One could use all sorts of examples to show that metal parts are not always made to the best quality, and one could also make the same points against plastic as well as the fact that you cannot bring plastic to the same quality that you can with metal. Still the fact is that metal (aluminum, steel, & titanium) is the stronger material hands down. If machined properly it can match or even beat plastic in weight and still give superior strength, plus it looks extremely superior as an engineering model. You can make arguments all day long to defend the use of plastic, but the only true defense is the cost of manufacturing. Point well made.

elbutchos1
06-24-2008, 03:39 PM
Just to get things straight.
We just don't have the moolah for FULL Titanum or super light alloy maxx'es or sav's. ( Well some do ). There is Aluminium alloy... and that is heavy compared to plastics. Nobody wants a 10KG truck. Alloy does not flex like plastic and you need the flex factor when you land a 8ft jump. Tensions must not go all in one place but must be absorbed on as much surface as possible. I agree some crucial parts NEED to be alloy but i cast my vote that the RC industries should use higher quality plastics even if the prices go up a bit. Carbon nano-tube plastics :p :p :p for example.

Cheers.