PDA

View Full Version : Savage Flux or Traxxas Summit

rcaboveall
12-22-2008, 03:40 PM
I've been a big fan of HPI products and with this new Savage Flux coming out I'm considering on making a purchase. The only problem is that I really have my mind set on the new Traxxas Summit. Awwww... I can't decide which one I want more and it's killing me.

Savage Flux = Speed, bashing durability, and unlimited wheelies and backflips

Traxxas Summit = Slow speed (25 mph), crawling ability (maybe limited but still better than the Savage), on demand locking diff, and **waterproof electronics**

Help me decide :)

Really it comes down to do I want speed or do I want rock crawling capability with waterproof electronics (I wish the Savage had this - I'd be afraid to take it through some thick snow).

Wavesport
12-22-2008, 05:26 PM
Quite a predicament :p

Do you already have specialized rc's like crawlers, or racers? If not, that summit looks mighty tempting as a sort of jack of all trades. Great platform to start from. The flux is just plain foxy. And by foxy I mean awesome. My instinct says you need both !!

Aszor
12-22-2008, 06:27 PM
Well I was torn between both my self! Any truck can be made water proof so thats not a comparison, the savage by all means is gonna be tougher! I have a AX10 so I dont need a rock crawler, the summit does not even compare to the AX10! Which means I have answered my own question lol!

nvtuning
12-22-2008, 06:49 PM
i also like both but i'm going for the flux :p
i think you better not make the summit brushless to get speed and how long will the diff lock system work its te first car that has them so maybe that meens problems

greats

roadrunner96
12-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Its just depends on what you want to do - do you want to have fun with a ffffaaaassttt truck that can take a beating, or do you want to have a slow truck that needs more brittle plastic every other run? Traxxas has a good design and engineering, but HORRIBLE quality to back it up. Really? $515 for a truck that does 25mph, or save a little more and buy a truck that can waste most nitro's in a race AND run over Summit's:D If your looking to crawl with a MT, I would suggest buying a used RTR e-maxx any day off ebay for @ $200 (most times with batteries and charger) and spend $20 for 2 spools to lock the diffs. or to have a CORRECT crawler (solid axle) I would look into clodbusters or crawlers with clod axles. Independent suspension is not considered a crawler and is serious Mis-advertising. Waterproof trucks is another GIMMICK and can be simply done by anyone with a hot glue gun or 100% silicone caulk.

rcaboveall
12-22-2008, 08:57 PM
:DThe jury has decided. Savage Flux it is. Anyone know where I can get a free shipping code for Tower Hobbies? I know you can get $60 off right now. Do you think the release date will be in January?

wayneb
12-23-2008, 02:02 AM
if you already have a rock crawler I would go for the savage flux, the traxxas trucks have always been weak in the bulkhead areas.?

rcaboveall
12-23-2008, 03:30 AM
if you already have a rock crawler I would go for the savage flux, the traxxas trucks have always been weak in the bulkhead areas.?

The only Traxxas truck I owned was a Stampede and that was a pretty good vehicle until I stripped the gearbox. I think I've decided to go with the Flux Savage (mostly because I have a nice wallpaper of it on my desktop :p)

Thanks guys.. BTW I posted some pics of my E-Savage in the gallery.

BitHed
12-23-2008, 12:56 PM
...apples and potatoes...oh wait...oranges and onions??

...too different to compare...Get BOTH and see which one gets used most ;) Get back to us when you want to sell the Summit :D

Koko
12-23-2008, 01:05 PM
It's really just what you want. I can't knock Traxxas Quality or HPI's. My issues with HPI were self derived. One was not knowing how to tune a nitro truck and the other was in setting the incorrect gear mesh and adding too many hopups to my E-savage without truly "knowing" the truck. I bought an E-revo and it was a great truck. You can't compare the E-savage imo to the E-revo in handling. I had fun with the truck but realized I'm not racer and all out speed was not important to me, so I sold it stashed the money for the Summit. Most of my driving is in my backyard. Which besides my lawn means I'm in the woods dealing with downed trees and the rockpile I have for my AX10 crawler. Plus driving out in the snow and ice makes having a waterproof truck a nice thing to have. Like someone stated here, the Summit is going to be a jack of all trades truck...kind of like me. LOL

On the other hand if you want all out speed and a truck to hit huge jumps and bash with then I'd say the HPI Flux is for you. Killer looks and built by HPI. If I was anywhere near a bmx track I'd be getting one of these even after own an E-revo.

Can't go wrong with either one IMO. You just really have to ask yourself what kind of driving are you really going to do and buy the appropriate truck.

Knez
12-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Koko i think i put too mayn hop-ups on my E-savy to ,because not knowing the truck good...

Me personaly i would go for Flux defenetly... i mean i dont know summit so good but i saw intro for it ...but flux is Just Waaaaaay to much better truck-my opinion!

Koko why u wrote this so nice man...about S-Flux...i am trying to stay away from it..but it looks like i am gonna work my A__ out for the new savage...grr.. i am very close to BMX track and i want a huge air and truck that will handle the jumps and bashing.. ...u wrote everything so nice...he he dont know what to do, as more as i read about this S-flux more i want it even if i didnt drive my upgraded E-savy jet.... Must resist "temptations" ..:D

but it is getting harder and harder not to think of this Flux...

only thing what i really would like to know is Driving time..how long it will last on 2x 2s or 2x 3s lipos....if someone knows maybe?:confused:

Koko
12-23-2008, 01:52 PM
With a quality set of lipos I'm sure you'll get 20-30 minutes. Seems to be about the norm for an E-revo. Some getting longer some get shorter.

One thing I like about the flux is the metal spur...that would help me. :D I was suprised to see they went with single shocks as I thought the savage line was all dual shocks at every corner.

BitHed
12-23-2008, 02:08 PM
...as one of the more popular mods is slghtly bigger single shocks. be they LST or Hellfire or whatever, i cant help thinking that HPI might be just following the 'user' trend...that or maybe they are trying to make the truck slightly cheaper but i reckon its more functional than financial though...Good point though Koko...

roadrunner96
12-23-2008, 02:47 PM
I read the runtimes are only like around 10 minutes even with good lipos:( of course that is with the stock gearing (which is bad - bithed figured this out).

Knez
12-23-2008, 03:25 PM
I read the runtimes are only like around 10 minutes even with good lipos:( of course that is with the stock gearing (which is bad - bithed figured this out).

if that is true than i would NEVER buy the truck... wth 10 minutes?

that is like u turn truck On and Off, if that is truth than HPI is simply lost there mind... my opinion... i rather buy a smaller Truck and have longer run time than have a big size Truck that runs 10 minut...that is just stupid...and i am not a pro...just my opinion...10 minutes? pff...

they could at Least give it lets say normal 20 minutes...

ok i wait for Master Mind to tell us what and how...but 10 minutes...lol hpi is joking...but it is not 1 April.... so i am confused..huh 10 minutes..:confused:
i hope Master Mind figures this out and comes with more "normal" results...

Than a Summit is not that bad idea at all,what is running time on summit? if it is under 20 min with 25mph speed than it is even worse that Flux....my opinion!

or maybe i just expected to much from this New savage-Flux!?

lilredmachine
12-23-2008, 04:06 PM
With great power comes great energy drain.

You want a brick shaped monster truck to do 62mph you've gotta put a gnarly system in it. And if you run a gnarly system, you need gnarly batterys. Even gnarly batteries don't last long with gnarly systems.

I'm guessing that you can only get circa 5000mah 3s lipos in that thing, as opposed to 8000mah 2s. At 6s that motor is chewing up the juice, combined with the reduced capacity over 2s, you get a short runtime.

Sort the gearing, run it 4s with 6000+ mah lipos you'll be back up to 25 minutes in no time.

And if you're going to complain about having to buy decent batteries because they cost too much, then don't buy a $650 cutting edge brushless truck.

rcaboveall
12-23-2008, 05:09 PM
I ordered the Savage Flux last night. I'm curious how long the truck will run on (2) 4500 nimh batts.

roadrunner96
12-23-2008, 05:28 PM
of course, properly gearing the truck means gearing down, and of course that means a loss of speed.......but around 50mph'ish is still insane for that size truck with that much torque and all - and should tack on a few more minutes of run time. The 4500mah batts should still make it run the 30mph'ish mark (assuming their 2 6-cell batts), and that's still a hare faster than a stock e-sav and not bad considering the SIZE of the "FLUXY". Also since considering running the 4500mah packs - KEEP AN EYE ON THE BATT TEMPS - like run for 3 min. check, run for 3 min check.............

BTW, anyone should be able to get the 8000mah li-po's in there - the trays will accommodate SxS 8-cell ni-mh on each side - THAT IS VERY LONG!

generis
12-23-2008, 06:01 PM
pack size will be an issue for sure, and I'm wondering myself what size the holders are..... ....

roadrunner96
12-23-2008, 06:21 PM
well, for example the e-revo chassis will fit 7-cell SxS config. and with slight dremeling a little, people said they got their 8k lipo's in - now with a 8-cell SxS (side by side) config. it should work. Thats the beauty of having the TVP chassis as compared to the flat chassis setups - with the TVP you have a LOT of room/length to custom make batt holders/trays.

So when is HPI making that electric BAJA 5B/T that takes 14s lipo or 12-cell (12x2) nimh on each side? LOL!

Knez
12-23-2008, 10:05 PM
lilredmachine

i never sad anything for batteries as i know the juice is very important...!

but i mean what is the point to have a truck that goes the speed of sound when u can drive it only for few minutes even with best lipos..... i mean for me that is not nearly close to having fun with it... 650$ + lipos for 10 minutes?

how can u destroy something on that truck? if u turn it on and go straight for the wall? because if u go for back flips and few jumps u are out of batteries...go home to recharge?

that 65Mph is waaay to much for my taste and 10 minutes waaay to little , max 45Mph and normal 20 minutes long run that would be ok , in moster truck it is not so important top speed(i would never in my life need a 65Mph) but that truck can do "jumps" and HUGE jumps and take a beating, thats why it is called Monster i think!?
Monster can go where other trucks or normal cars canT go..

Dont know but that is my opinion, and i am nobody, not a pro or anything...
that is the way i see it...

cant wait for someone to test it and some happy report that truck is driving more than 10 minutes ;)
if the truck can take a crash with 65mph mah even with 55mph and nothing is broken than i cant even think what fun it would be to gear it down to max 40-45mph and 20-30 minutes long run time, for me that would be almost ultimate set up!

rcaboveall
12-24-2008, 04:16 AM
lilredmachine

i never sad anything for batteries as i know the juice is very important...!

but i mean what is the point to have a truck that goes the speed of sound when u can drive it only for few minutes even with best lipos..... i mean for me that is not nearly close to having fun with it... 650$ + lipos for 10 minutes?

how can u destroy something on that truck? if u turn it on and go straight for the wall? because if u go for back flips and few jumps u are out of batteries...go home to recharge?

that 65Mph is waaay to much for my taste and 10 minutes waaay to little , max 45Mph and normal 20 minutes long run that would be ok , in moster truck it is not so important top speed(i would never in my life need a 65Mph) but that truck can do "jumps" and HUGE jumps and take a beating, thats why it is called Monster i think!?
Monster can go where other trucks or normal cars canT go..

Dont know but that is my opinion, and i am nobody, not a pro or anything...
that is the way i see it...

cant wait for someone to test it and some happy report that truck is driving more than 10 minutes ;)
if the truck can take a crash with 65mph mah even with 55mph and nothing is broken than i cant even think what fun it would be to gear it down to max 40-45mph and 20-30 minutes long run time, for me that would be almost ultimate set up!

Isn't the ESC on the Flux Savage made by Castle? Isn't it programable? I agree 62 mph is a little excessive but don't you have the option to trim down that speed for longer run times (on top of gearing of course)?

BitHed
12-24-2008, 05:46 AM
...its all in the gearing i reckon...Yes the ESC is a CC Monster Max...

...The center gears will be a single speed gear box, as opposed to the 2 and 3 units of the other GP Savages...I am making an educated guess that the output will be pretty close to the E-Sav anyway...

rcaboveall
12-30-2008, 05:48 PM
Here is a little vid of the Traxxas Summit in the snow:

http://blogs-rccaraction.com/media/123/Traxxas_Summit_In_The_Snow/

DGCON
01-19-2009, 06:12 AM
I'm all for the savage. When taxes come I'm getting both I live in MI so I need something for the waterproof. I love my xl but she's not going in the water. I'm hoping I can use the batteries for both not sure about compartment size. I'm sure it's possible to switch connectors on the summit. Maxamps 11.1 will go 62 in the savage and 40 in the summit.

D505
01-19-2009, 12:43 PM
about runtime:

to increase RT:
- increase capasity
- increase voltage (in case if avg speed stays with the meaning of previous voltage)
- increase efficiency of motor
- reduce friction of all moving parts
- reduce average speed
- reduce weight of the truck

theoreticaly:
14,8V 5000mah Lipo can produce 14,8x5=74Watts of power and this meaning is constant for this battery.
This power is enough to move 10lb truck to 5miles. (20lb to 2.5miles, etc). And this distance is constant for this weight and this battery.

So if we want to increase runtime we should reduce average speed.
If We want 62mph (average) - ok, we will have 5min of runtime.
If We want 10min of runtime - we should have 32mph average speed.

Capacity of battery is constant, weight is constant also. So to increase the runtime - lower average speed - thats the idea. Also we can increase RT with redusing the weight of the truck or increase (voltage or capacity) of battery (with the same motor).

So runtime of Flux is so much times shorter then E-Sav so Flux is heavier (with the same average speed). Average speed depends on top speed, but top speed always can be controlable by owner.

62mph is not the speed that truck must always go with. It shows the ability of current truck only.