PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with race experience ?

Slave-One
02-25-2009, 03:33 AM
I may race with my Savage Flux during April. I will have to run in a MT class with nitro MT, so running time must be between 10 and 20 minutes.
Is this possible ? I know I have 20 to 30 minutes runtime during bash sessions with 2x5000mAh but this is no race. I can't currently test that myself at the track (because 2 feet of snow), so any input will be appreciated.

banx
02-25-2009, 04:34 PM
if the mains are long like they are here (25 minutes) you will have to pit, and even change batteries if necessary.

its only fair that you have to stop every 7 minutes for 8 seconds just like a nitro would to fill its tank.

i have no experience with a flux, but all i can say is get it as low and light as possible, and gear it so you hit top speed at the end of the straight.

having a high top speed is unnecessary, having good punch and turn in is what you want.

and when you get to the track spend a few minutes watching the fast guys to see what jumps they double or triple........

as for setups, regarding toe in/camber etc. i cant offer any suggestions because i have never driven a flux. but good luck, the racing bug bit me hard last summer

aypo
02-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Hi there slave-one, i dont see any problem with the setup you have in sign (ammo and mamba) to reach 20 minutes easily. and as banx said, all you need is to gear it for acceleration what means lower currents during the acceleration because of better gearing ratio.
anyway good luck against the nitros.

Slave-One
02-26-2009, 02:23 AM
Thanks aypo, I will not run my E-Savy but my Savage Flux so that's why I have no clue about race runtime.

Thank you too banx for your advices. I will have some time to test different setups as the race is during 3 days. I'm already registered for 1/10 4wd buggy, 1/10 stadium truck and Slash. I'm still thinking about the MT class as I may be "short in petrol" with my current batteries. Some videos of previous years :

http://www.hpndvr.com/video/chesterman.wmv (http://www.hpndvr.com/video/chesterman.wmv)

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...io+indoor&aq=f (http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...io+indoor&aq=f)

nvtuning
02-26-2009, 11:00 AM
having good punch and turn in is what you want.

punch is no problem on the flux turn is someting else just get the castle link on the mamba monster and set it perfect only problem is that you can't test
with running time i should just play on safe get some 8000 mAh in there en get going
i also should pop i a hump pack the flux has plenty of power so it wil pull the
extra weight it also gives little weight on the front that wil help to stear better and hold the wheelie's but you still need to set the mamba monster on little les punch

greets nvt hope i've helped and you will understand my rubisch english

Memnoch
02-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Just a thought, but you might try converting the Shocks and towers over to the Hellfire units like Bithed has with the HFX. The Flux is already lower than the GP Savage by design and this looks like it would really make for a good handling truck.

As for the Battery run time, I would be interested in this as well. I guess it will depend on the Time the Mains are run for, but I can't see any way to make a 20 minute plus main on one set of batteries with the Flux. I could always be wrong though. Please keep us posted on this.

Slave-One
02-26-2009, 08:07 PM
with running time i should just play on safe get some 8000 mAh in there en get going

I just found some clue on Maxamps website :
Two Lipo 6500mah - 7.4V packs
40+mph in most brushless setups(7.4 Volts)
39 minutes average runtime(6500mah Capacity)

So I should be fine with 5000mAh for a 20 minutes run.

i also should pop i a hump pack the flux has plenty of power so it wil pull the
extra weight it also gives little weight on the front that wil help to stear better and hold the wheelie's but you still need to set the mamba monster

You mean a receiver pack ?

Just a thought, but you might try converting the Shocks and towers over to the Hellfire units like Bithed has with the HFX. The Flux is already lower than the GP Savage by design and this looks like it would really make for a good handling truck..

Do you know if it's a direct fit ?

As for the Battery run time, I would be interested in this as well. I guess it will depend on the Time the Mains are run for, but I can't see any way to make a 20 minute plus main on one set of batteries with the Flux. I could always be wrong though. Please keep us posted on this.

If the above information is correct, that should be good. I still may check that in a park if this #@$$/ snow melt soon.

banx
02-26-2009, 11:21 PM
i lied, the MT mains are only 10 minutes because theres only 6-8 that show up........ buggies and truggies are 25 minutes.

i must have gotten lost in the parsley patch because i have'nt had to change my packs during a race.

anyways, you could probably get away with a 6500 pack all day. i just use my 5000 packs and charge them in between runs.

i think they will probably make you stop at some point during the race in the name of sportsmanship atleast.

the first video was good, if you do race with your flux please get some video.
i would love to see it against some revo's, good luck man

Slave-One
02-26-2009, 11:56 PM
the first video was good, if you do race with your flux please get some video.
i would love to see it against some revo's, good luck man

Do you really want me to drive and film at the same time ?
That would give a very good advantage to the others racers ! :D

generis
02-27-2009, 05:45 AM
Well, I can safely say that some major tweaking will be done to my flux to even think of racing it, but the flux is way faster than my make-your-own BL erevo. The MMM combos are really a handful

Slave-One
02-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Generis, will you go to Tillsonburg in April ?

I'm not looking for a podium in MT, more like a real training as I have zero experience with the Flux on normal condition (means not snow and ice). I will run it stock with some tuning but nothing major. I hope/want to perform in 4wd and 2wd so most of my preparation time will be on those 2 classes.

generis
02-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Slave, you mean at chestermans? I haven't seen any listings for this years racing at all. Was not planning on going anyway, as we are in NC in may. If it's running, let me know.
What kind of superglue did you find to keep the batteries from flying out?!

Slave-One
02-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Yes, that's it, registration is open : http://offroadrc.ca/forumdisplay.php?f=116

For the battery trays, so far no problem with the clip and and the rubber attach. In need of a plan B, I have velcro straps in my toolbox.

Slave-One
03-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Snow is going away so I was able to test the runtime in a simili-race session. With my 20C*5000mAh, I hitted 20 minutes with no pause. I was running faster and harder (meaning more acceleration from dead stop) than a real race, so I should be OK. I think I'll give it a try.

banx
03-08-2009, 07:22 PM
i know your flux is fast, but the weight difference between your e-savage and flux might make you consider using your e-savage instead.

i've had mediocre success with my e-savage in a 4 race indoor series here.
all against e-maxx's and e-revos. though i did wish i had brushless power

Slave-One
03-09-2009, 12:48 AM
To run my E-Savy, I would have to buy : new ESC (MM is in DB01), new motor (wouldn't race with an Ammo), CVD, dogbones (maybe), GCM diffs. I will not put 400$ on it. In fact, I'm currently reverting back to stock motors and ESC to limit expense to a minimal level.

banx
03-09-2009, 02:23 AM
well i mean no offense, but after reading your signature and the list of parts you have for your e-sav i think you would be fine

i was running stock motors/esc AND pinions for 3 of the 4 race days. i did break a plastic driveshaft while running all stock. it was a small indoor track though.

and this last friday i broke a diff output but i think thats more because of the cvd's racer ex arms i was using.

bring them both out and see which you like better.........i have alot of wheel time with a nitro savage, from the 18ss to the savage x. and the e-sav owns them all in the turns :)

Slave-One
03-09-2009, 04:10 PM
well i mean no offense

we're just talking, why should I be offended ? :D

I'm not sure that I can reach the 20 minutes with the stock motors :confused:
Also the track is big so my E-Savy would have a hard time to follow the big nitro MT.

banx
03-09-2009, 11:33 PM
the motors will last with cooling. but if the track is large you do need a brushless motor.....just like you said

the straight away was 85' on friday, and the e-revos would smoke me on it