PDA

View Full Version : Mamba monster burnt ESC syndrome ?

elbutchos1
02-25-2009, 06:19 PM
I've been watching videos on the tube lika a hawk since the flux came.
I have already seen 2 videos where the MMM ESC goes up in flames.
Could this be a issue ?

generis
02-25-2009, 07:23 PM
I don 't think it is realistic to think these sorts of things WONT happen to some people some times. In this case, it's a high voltage unit powering several hundred watts of slamming power all the while trying to make a clean 6v for the servo at a varying load, and to me it's a wonder that they are as reliable as they are already.

Knez
02-25-2009, 08:39 PM
elbutchos1

Dont talk like that man;), i will order 1 tomorrow...as my MGM Esc is Out...

I hope i will have more luck than those people who burned V3....:D

fastbaja5b
02-25-2009, 11:00 PM
I emailed Joe Ford (castle support) with the very same queries 2 days ago

..no reply as yet.

so maybe there is an issue :(

Until this is confirmed / resolved I'll stick to my 4s lipo set up, seems the 6s set ups are doing things, whether it be battery ripple current or from what one person was saying running the 20t pinion as opposed to the 25t pinion on 6s could cause this?!?!?!?

Wish castle would return emails though

elbutchos1
02-26-2009, 06:24 AM
Knez, I hope yours will run like butter with no problems whatsoever.
I almost scraped together the cash needed to buy this truck and now I'm having second - third - quadruple thoughts. :eek:

ati2ud
02-26-2009, 08:31 AM
hey fellas,
just wanted to add a bit to this. One guy I work beside has the MMM and 2200 combo, running 6S in an EMaxx. The other guy I work with has the MMM and 2200 motor running 16 cell NIMH in an E-Revo. And I have the MMM and 2650 running 4S. We have been running them since they came out, so for a month or 2 now, with zero issues. As this is about all we have do to for fun in our little desert world we use these almost everyday, hard. I think it was touched on in another thread, but this is why they do have a warranty. Sometimes a part will fail, and we have broken everything on these multiple times over as our Towerhobbies bill can attest to. but based on our experience thus far, none of us have had a single issue with the Monster esc/motor. Just my very humble 2 cents.

GOD-ZILLA 10
02-26-2009, 10:03 AM
I've been watching videos on the tube lika a hawk since the flux came.
I have already seen 2 videos where the MMM ESC goes up in flames.
Could this be a issue ?

Hey is this one of the video's? The Flux goes up in smoke after the jump and landing....:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wf00JUvU2QI

Cheers
Zilla

jeffp
02-26-2009, 02:50 PM
I think maybe a lot of the MMM ESC failures are due to running batteries that cannot sustain the current needed... I emailed HPI asking about what the minimum recommended C rating on a 4s setup in the Flux would be and they said 25C and preferably 30C +! Not sure why HPI would even say that you can run NiMH in the Flux.

Memnoch
02-26-2009, 02:58 PM
I think maybe a lot of the MMM ESC failures are due to running batteries that cannot sustain the current needed... I emailed HPI asking about what the minimum recommended C rating on a 4s setup in the Flux would be and they said 25C and preferably 30C +! Not sure why HPI would even say that you can run NiMH in the Flux.

It's simple, they Don't. HPI does not recommend running NiMH at all in the Savage Flux. They are very specific in the Battery \ Pinion Combinations they recommend with this Truck. I haven't got one yet (Though soon I hope!), but I have been reading up on everything I can find out about them before spending that kind of Cash on a new Truck.

fastbaja5b
02-26-2009, 10:28 PM
just saying 25c is greatly flawed

By their logic I can buy a 1800mah pack rated at 25c and I "should" be fine right, I'd just have a shorter run time.

But you and I both know it's capable of giving less amps than a 5000mah pack rated at 20c

..ps still waiting on a reply from Castle, they have been disturbingly quiet in regards to this IMO

fastbaja5b
02-26-2009, 10:32 PM
Oh yeah that video was here in Perth, full thread on that blow up is here:

he was told by HPI that it blew as he ran a 20t pinion not the 25t

so much for gear down on more amps for cooler temps :mad:

http://www.ausrc.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15868

jeffp
02-27-2009, 12:44 AM
It's simple, they Don't. HPI does not recommend running NiMH at all in the Savage Flux. They are very specific in the Battery \ Pinion Combinations they recommend with this Truck.

Actually in the manual they state you can use NiMH... and in the battery / gearing chart they say the 20/44 gearing is OK on NiMH. The only thing they say is to not use stick packs, use SxS packs.