PDA

View Full Version : lipo recommendations on flux...

JOCKTHEGLIDE
05-26-2009, 11:39 PM
im a newbie to flux so I need some recommendations and I see that maxamps has some, but from what I read it seems people hate them becuase they are expensive, but they do provide customer support. Just curious what else is out there instead of the maxamps before i buy batteries since I already bought the flux should be here next week or so.

rawfuls
05-27-2009, 12:05 AM
Batteries?
Avoid MaxCraps.
Take a look at Extol's thread, "New to The Hobby..."

There's proof why I hate MaxAmps, they refuse to upload a graph of their own 5200mAh packs, as they don't want the competitors to see what cells they put out :x

Couldn't customers put up graphs from their packs when they buy em? Doesn't make sense to me.

generis
05-27-2009, 01:14 AM
the single most happy place I have ever found to buy lipos or get answers on them is www.rclipos.com Go there and just send an e-mail to pat and they will give you some good recommendations on good solid products. Great place. And free shipping for us all!

Bartek
05-27-2009, 01:20 AM
http://e-savage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4541
check out my thread, really lot's of good info about LiPo's for Flux!

JOCKTHEGLIDE
05-27-2009, 01:21 AM
the single most happy place I have ever found to buy lipos or get answers on them is www.rclipos.com Go there and just send an e-mail to pat and they will give you some good recommendations on good solid products. Great place. And free shipping for us all!

will do on that.....
BTW found some venoms at 5000mah with 3s 11.1v at towerhobbies.com I read some bad and good things about venom I had some nimh and they bursted in my old emaxx are lipos good from them?

jeffp
05-27-2009, 09:10 AM
I run PolyRC enerland 6000mAh 2s packs in mine from rclipos.com. They are 25C and don't even get warm after a hard, long run. Very impressive batteries, although mine are starting to fade after about 50+ runs. The V2 cells are supposed to better as far as longevity goes. Nice tight fit in the Flux battery boxes :)

Bartek
05-27-2009, 12:42 PM
will do on that.....
BTW found some venoms at 5000mah with 3s 11.1v at towerhobbies.com I read some bad and good things about venom I had some nimh and they bursted in my old emaxx are lipos good from them?

I'm using Venom 2s 5000mAh LiPo's and I'm very happy with them, I heard that their NiMh packs suck but their LiPo's are good so I tried them and I'm well happy, specially that I got them for 50 each :eek:

Extol
05-27-2009, 01:59 PM
http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-parts/TP-5000-2SPRD/RC-PARTS-THUNDER-POWER-LIPO-RC-CARS-RACE-SERIES.html

what i pick up so far 2 full runs. Not even really warm :)

Bartek
05-27-2009, 02:03 PM
http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-parts/TP-5000-2SPRD/RC-PARTS-THUNDER-POWER-LIPO-RC-CARS-RACE-SERIES.html

what i pick up so far 2 full runs. Not even really warm :)

dude,those are nice but what run time do you get with them?

Extol
05-27-2009, 02:16 PM
well to tell ya the truth i havent had them get to cut off yet!!! ran at my house for about 15 to 20 mins (small yard so not running to hard) then show my dad the truck and play in his yard and golf crouse for about 20 to 30min. then later that night that stop by a friends house for a party and we ran it hard on the dirt and road for good 20min if not longer.

since that day its been raining everyday dang u beach weather. anyway i do play to get out and run some more..so far i say running hard i should get about good 40min out of them. playing around in my yard it seems like forever since i cant really let the truck go nuts lol..

My longest time i spent in my yard running was about 45min and when i charge them they only need about 3000mah lol..

Bartek
05-27-2009, 02:27 PM
this sounds weird but 40c LiPo's should lose their power much more quicker...
maybe I'm just pushing my Flux to extreme :P

generis
05-27-2009, 02:47 PM
this sounds weird but 40c LiPo's should lose their power much more quicker...
maybe I'm just pushing my Flux to extreme :P

that's simply not true. just because there's more gas in the tank doesn't mean you use it faster.

Extol
05-27-2009, 03:00 PM
Just call the own of the hobby shop that's runs a flux and same lipos. He said he gets 35 to 40 min running hard. :/

JOCKTHEGLIDE
05-27-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm using Venom 2s 5000mAh LiPo's and I'm very happy with them, I heard that their NiMh packs suck but their LiPo's are good so I tried them and I'm well happy, specially that I got them for 50 each :eek:

bartek,
based on that comment Im gonna get me some I like maxamps to be honest its all done for you no guessing if it fits or not, but I just had an online chat after spending 300 dollars on a vxl 1/16 setup kit It should put me in the bronze membership for 10% and they couldnt do it on his end and I have to call another person to do that.....too much hassle for me I like things simple and ordering the batts from towerhobbies is simple with 60 dollars off a pair will cost me 240 shipped.

btw: anyone know the dimensions of the battery pack on the truck? what does everyone think of these:
http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=71

Extol
05-27-2009, 05:24 PM
I am still a n00b when it comes to this.. But i think the C rating is way to low for the flux. The packs u link at 12c i would at less try for 25c+. Also 3s starting out might be alittle much lol..I would try 2 2s packs that will make a 4s setup.

btw on 2s that power that the truck puts out is nuts and i have it turn down a lot useing the castle link :)

generis
05-27-2009, 05:43 PM
for the price of those you can do better (linked spc batts)

Bartek
05-27-2009, 06:57 PM
bartek,
based on that comment Im gonna get me some I like maxamps to be honest its all done for you no guessing if it fits or not, but I just had an online chat after spending 300 dollars on a vxl 1/16 setup kit It should put me in the bronze membership for 10% and they couldnt do it on his end and I have to call another person to do that.....too much hassle for me I like things simple and ordering the batts from towerhobbies is simple with 60 dollars off a pair will cost me 240 shipped.

btw: anyone know the dimensions of the battery pack on the truck? what does everyone think of these:
http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=71

I don't really know what you mean...
the LiPo's that I'm using aren't MaxAmps, they are Venom, don't buy MaxAmps as they aren't best LiPo's for their price, SMC have some really good LiPo's, Dynamite has some great 2s and 3s LiPo's at very affordable price.

and those batteries that you linked suck, they are only 12c which is way too low, I wouldn't go lower then 20c, I'm using 20c and everything is okay but using 12 would be just stupid, they are also very expensive for their specs, they would give you some great running times but they will damage quickly.

elbutchos1
05-27-2009, 09:04 PM
I have them 4000 25C hardcased Zippy's.
By any chance will I blow them up or will they hold ?
I just play'd for like 5 minutes with it since i got the truck :(

Extol
05-27-2009, 09:08 PM
I have them 4000 25C hardcased Zippy's.
By any chance will I blow them up or will they hold ?
I just play'd for like 5 minutes with it since i got the truck :(

You should be fine. If its the red hard case zippys i was thinking about getting them my self. Then the thunderpowers came in at my local hobby shop that i was going to get the zippys with and owner talk so highly about his thunderpowers when i was there looking at the flux i went ahead and got them.

I am thinking about getting a set of them zippys at some point just so i have more play time lol.. :) but yeah you should be fine

elbutchos1
05-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the info Extol but i must warn you (if you plan to get them)... they don't fit in the stock battery trays without modifications.

I just hooked it up to my PC with the castle link cable.
I got firmware 1.20 and it immediately asked if i don't wanna upgrade to 1.21 beta. Should I ??
I don't wanna be too hard on my lipos so i set the cutoff to 13.2V (3.3V/cell) .
After disconnecting and reconnecting the cable it shows 13.3V in the cutoff section. It just just won't save 13.2V lol.

Extol
05-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Yeah i got the same thing when i 1st hook my flux up to the computer. I went ahead and upgraded a few days ago. Ran once since then and seem fine.

so you had to mod the trays for the zippys?

Hpi-fi
05-27-2009, 09:53 PM
I use 3S Flightpower evo25 4900 for my Flux. So far, no probs, gets warm after pushing hard for a long time and that's all. Mind you, I'm very careful while using 3S with flux, I check battery and ESC temp time to time and so far, I found, the fan kicked in very few times. May be it's due to the coldish temp in London?

I also use 2S lipos from this unknown brand 'Demon' based in UK, 7.4V, 25C 5000mah, 47.50 GBP each with delivery. I use'em with my firestorm flux. I haven't used'em with my Flux yet, but I gotta tell you, they have better kick than trakpower 2S 25C 4900 packs in my firestorm flux. I had the trakpowers first, but after seeing Demon lipo's performance, I sold the trakpowers in ebay and sticked to Demon. So far, all these batteries are performing great.

Runtime wise, I get about 17/18 minutes in my flux. I run in the park with an average 70-75% throttle I'd say. Duration could be more. I never precisely timed it.

JOCKTHEGLIDE
05-28-2009, 02:07 AM
maxamps customer service helped me out actually today so I retract what I said about them earlier......though I went with cheaper venom 5400mah 20c 11.1v they are backordered at towerhobbies.

I don't really know what you mean...
the LiPo's that I'm using aren't MaxAmps, they are Venom, don't buy MaxAmps as they aren't best LiPo's for their price, SMC have some really good LiPo's, Dynamite has some great 2s and 3s LiPo's at very affordable price.

and those batteries that you linked suck, they are only 12c which is way too low, I wouldn't go lower then 20c, I'm using 20c and everything is okay but using 12 would be just stupid, they are also very expensive for their specs, they would give you some great running times but they will damage quickly.

Bartek
05-28-2009, 08:17 AM
6s in series is a lot, Savage Flux is nuts on 4s and most people program it to be softer and Flux on 6s is just expensive, all the gears are gonna wear quicker, tires will brake because of ballooning and you will have trouble controlling it.

Extol
05-28-2009, 02:07 PM
6s in series is a lot, Savage Flux is nuts on 4s and most people program it to be softer and Flux on 6s is just expensive, all the gears are gonna wear quicker, tires will brake because of ballooning and you will have trouble controlling it.

i am scared to see my flux on 6s...but some people love that power

JOCKTHEGLIDE
05-28-2009, 02:28 PM

its always easier to not pull the throttle so much as opposed to pulling the throttle all the way and not have any balls :p

killermmn
05-28-2009, 11:58 PM
6s lipo is insane,i have test whit stock tire,totaly insane:D

thi5guy
05-29-2009, 07:09 PM
I use 2s 25c 5000mah Kershaw Designs Hard case in my flux. So far no issues. I paid $57 for each pack. I get good amount of run time with them as well. I havent really timed the run time but i would estimate about 25 min. So far I ran those packs for about 3 runs.

Freezebyte
06-09-2009, 04:32 AM
wrong post

JOCKTHEGLIDE
06-09-2009, 12:02 PM
USING: venom 5400mah 11.1v 3s lipos

i have to say I used them 3x time now and they are running great boght for 230 shipped from towerhobbies expensive yes I know, but hey I will buy cheaper next time.
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc320/shift4knights/100_7916.jpg