PDA

View Full Version : Flux Lipo's

imhungry
07-04-2009, 02:40 AM
Hey guys, Baught my flux 4 days ago, had a savage X 4.6 b4 it.
Love it, much more torque than the nitro, and SO MUCH MORE CONVENIENT/CLEAN! i don't miss nitro's at all haha except the sound :(
so to the point. i've been running on twin 7.4V 3300 Mah Ni-Mh (venom), and yes.... they suck i get roughly 5 min with loads of power then another say 8 min of kinda fun power.

https://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8357&Product_Name=ZIPPY_Flightmax_4000mAh_2S1P_25C_Car_ Lipoly
Are these lipos any good? i am an expert in Soldering and realize these packs will need to be re Soldered with proper deans connections. BUT FOR 28 BUCKS! how can i go wrong eh?

My problem will they provide efficient power? amperage w/e
I am no electrician and am completely new to lipo's
If you have a suggested lipo battery consisting of more than 4000mah and 25C for under 90$CAN please feel free to say.

Im not looking for extreme power like the crazy 6s people, from what i hear 4s well overthrow my ni-mh's in punch and acceleration. i want runtime !
Ex. how long will these 2s 4000mah 25C last me at moderate driving?

generis
07-04-2009, 02:47 AM
no go. Sorry to poop your party, but to completely generalize the subject, you have to spend around $90 US per stick for anything that will not blow your ESC. ( READ THIS (http://mgm-compro.com/pdf/en-motor-braking-050409-g.pdf) )
5000mah and over 25c minimums. THe best ones going are smc 28c's and a bunch of good stuff from rclipos.com, who ships to canada with no import fees (nice)

welcome to the crowd, and have a look around, eh?!

imhungry
07-04-2009, 03:40 AM
So something more a long the lines of????
http://www.rclipos.com/PQ-5100RXP-2S.htm

more than i want to pay atm but, i guess i'm saving money in the long run.

So if i were to buy those exact batteries (I've shopped online till my fingers bled) could you (generis) please recommend a good charger for them, i figure i might as well spend a descent amount of money on a charger so i don't ruin the batteries with some cheap one.

EH?

:D

generis
07-04-2009, 05:58 AM
great batteries right there.

My favorite charger is a hyperion duo, and there are many many other good ones out there.. but try for a balance-charger to get it all in one. You'll be glad you did.. and the duo is really 2 chargers in one box, so you can do a bunch of batteries at one time. Nice. For sale all over the place. I'll try to find them in canada also. Try this one also: http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-parts/TP-610C/RC-PARTS-CHARGERS-BALANCERS-POWER.html
it's a canadian company that sells in USD? but they are great.
This charger, like most lipo chargers can do up to 6s which means you can do 2 packs of 2s at the same time with a balance parallel and a charge parallel, and then program a double capacity charge. (see charger/battery section here...)
There's more chargers out there like these ones, so look at this type of spec and compare with others.

elbutchos1
07-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Hello.

I've been using them Hardcased Zippy 2S 4000mah for some quite a few runs now. I don't run at a track and don't run hard , I just fool around. I play about 5-10 mins then pause for like 10 minutes and so on. Runtimes i guess are 20-30 minutes of play. Cutoff is set to 13.2V. I remember once playing on grass the fan came on but no real issues.

You should listen to generis thou :D
Oh, and Generis, i charge my packs in serial so the charger shows me voltage for each cell. Is charging in paralell better ?

kopfpilot
07-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Oh, and Generis, i charge my packs in serial so the charger shows me voltage for each cell. Is charging in paralell better ?

Me and most others charge 2 packs at once in series to "merge" them to one logical single pack. Balancewise charging in parallel is an ill-advice, because it does not allow to read individual cell voltage for single cells [and theirfor can't balance single cells].

Anyhow i feel a two port charger like the hyperion duo or the FMA Cellpro 10s is more exakt while charging both packs individualy. Even though i never had problems charging mine in series...

kopfpilot

fastbaja5b
07-04-2009, 01:24 PM
I have an Eagletree on the way so hopefully I'll get some concrete data up for guys next week, I think we're getting told lots of different things by different ppl, so it needs clarification.

imhungry
07-05-2009, 03:49 AM
So if i bought a 10amp (charge rate) and merged the lipos together when charging (could some tell me what cables i would need for that) would they be both charged at 10amp? or each @ 5amps i figure 5amps each but thought id ask anyways.

Thanks for all your help you guys have been great and very precise, on Mazda3forums (my actual car) their so rude and lenient on there answers haha. I never know what the hell there talking about on there :P *and the flame warz are through the roof!*

fastbaja5b
07-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Well after reading the article Generis posted, I went for a bash today at the in-laws, interesting way to test the motor - reverse current was just to move my steering servo briskly by hand, and it'd make the LED's flicker (which are just plugged into the aux port on the receiver)

And it would also make sense to me why there are fewer flux esc failures on 4s as we have that extra window for braking, and why, when I bash in a smaller area and slam on the brakes more, the fan comes on more.

Also from what I can read into it, it's better to have packs with a lower IR than a higher C rate. Pity noone advertises IR!

Anyway a good solid bash down to LVC (set at 3.3 v/cell) both packs took around 4000mah to charge (30C 5000mah packs) so I think I can push the LVC down to 3.2 quite safely, resting voltage when I hooked them up was 7.5 so I suspect at 80% depleted they were just touching 6.6v a pack under load.

I would suggest to those wanting to use 6s on the flux that it be for speed runs only, certainly not in instances where heavy braking is required.

imhungry
07-06-2009, 02:42 AM
Why are high amp chargers only DC i have been looking everywhere for an AC/DC , I WANNA CHARGE THESE BATTERIES @ MY HOUSE!!! why do they only make DC chargers?!?!??!! that means u have to hook it up to something like your cars battery ammirite?

Tim
Here is the link to the only AC/DC unit I carry.
http://rclipos.com/HP-EOS0606i.htm
This will do 6 amps but 50 watts max
Watts divided by battery voltage = charge current SO
50 watts divided by 7.4V = 6.7A but the unit is 6.0A max
If you decide to charge 2 at a time then that is 14.8V or 3.3A

TP unit cannot be made AC unit. You get to 15-20A chargers then they are expensive. I know of no chargers with high output that are AC/DC

WHY WHY WHY !
:S
So you guys with lipos all hook your chargers up to car batteries? maybe once in a life time i will charge this on the field.

fastbaja5b
07-06-2009, 02:51 AM
Why are high amp chargers only DC i have been looking everywhere for an AC/DC , I WANNA CHARGE THESE BATTERIES @ MY HOUSE!!! why do they only make DC chargers?!?!??!! that means u have to hook it up to something like your cars battery ammirite?

Tim
Here is the link to the only AC/DC unit I carry.
http://rclipos.com/HP-EOS0606i.htm
This will do 6 amps but 50 watts max
Watts divided by battery voltage = charge current SO
50 watts divided by 7.4V = 6.7A but the unit is 6.0A max
If you decide to charge 2 at a time then that is 14.8V or 3.3A

TP unit cannot be made AC unit. You get to 15-20A chargers then they are expensive. I know of no chargers with high output that are AC/DC

WHY WHY WHY !
:S
So you guys with lipos all hook your chargers up to car batteries? maybe once in a life time i will charge this on the field.

No I use one of these:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MP3079&keywords=13%2E8v+dc&form=KEYWORD

imhungry
07-06-2009, 04:23 AM
Great..... more money
this just gets better and better
Thanks for helping me out guys, but i can't afford to spend nearly 600$ for just powering my hobby....

fastbaja5b
07-06-2009, 05:39 AM
Great..... more money
this just gets better and better
Thanks for helping me out guys, but i can't afford to spend nearly 600$ for just powering my hobby....

Perhaps you should take up knitting.

generis
07-06-2009, 12:47 PM
yeah...
flux $500 usd
batts for flux $200 usd
Charging batts for flux $250 usd
most people forget that..
But it's still quieter than nitro!

imhungry
07-06-2009, 10:48 PM
so i bought my knitting supplies today and man i got this awesome two piece beginners set and KAPOW i'm having the thrill of my life, and i'm also saving a pretteh penny :)

just jk lol knitting......
donations widely accepted so i can afford my batts haha

generis
07-06-2009, 11:04 PM
donations widely accepted so i can afford my batts haha

that's the spirit

imhungry
07-08-2009, 03:53 AM
Lol..... Bought the following.
Enerland Racing PQ-5100RXP-2S Hard Case Car Pack -----x2
Thunder Power TP610C Li-Poly Super Charger ------------x1
PQ-AL-4S ----------------------------------------------x1
MC-1 --------------------------------------------------x2
Total---------------------------------------------------$321 US/$374 CAN :(
Now someone recommend me a dam cheap DC power supply! :S
The service from Rc-lipos.com said to buy a 15A Dc Power Supply instead of 10A im guessing just to be safe. preferable one that is in canada with free shipping? OOHHHRRAAAHHH.... i cannot wait! i soooooo look forward to 30 min runtimes. compared to 5 min good run another 3 min s*** run with my Ni-MH.

fastbaja5b
07-08-2009, 04:44 AM
Let me know how you go fitting those packs in the battery boxes, the way the wires exit I didn't think they'd come out the battery box without pinching a wire so I went for a side exiting pack.

D505
07-08-2009, 05:20 AM
> batts for flux $200 usd
> Charging batts for flux $250 usd

Hobbycity can offer not so agressive price:
2x3S 5000mAh 30C 120$
Turnigy-8 150W 80$
+ 2x3S>6S adapter + 2 Female deans

generis
07-08-2009, 12:40 PM
power supplies in canada
http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=TCPP9000
http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=GPMP0901
http://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=AST120

braunyrez
07-09-2009, 01:38 AM
I got these batteries

http://www.rclipos.com/PQ-5100RXP-2S.htm

and this charger

http://www.rclipos.com/HP-EOS0606i.htm

and theyre great, I get about 1/2 hr runtime on an Esavage and it takes about 45 minutes to an hour to charge each battery at 1c. Rclipos.com has fast shipping, answered all my questions, and no charge shipping.

I love the ac/dc charger, havent hooked it up to a powersupply yet (or car battery). I will be getting another charger when I get some xtra money but it will be the same, its still cheaper than the duo.

imhungry
07-11-2009, 04:07 AM
For anyone thinking of going to lithium polymer Batteries.
You will be spending roughly $540 CAN or $450 US
This set-up is average - slightly above average

This includes TP 610C li-poly super charger 10A and balancer (internal) $129 US
2x 7.4V 5100 Mah Enerland Lipo's $90 US (per Batterie)
Your Wire Connections for series Charging Aprx. $15
DC Power Supply (As most lipo chargers are DC not AC you will need this to convert the current to DC) $129 US

All together 453 US + tax
(540 CAN when converted and taxed)

Just a heads up to flux owners unsure how much the cost will be.
I will give a review on the batteries and charger once i receive them.

88gtanotchback
08-25-2009, 05:13 AM
ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 2S1P 30C (X2) $88.72
Turnigy Accucel-8 150W 7A Balancer $69.95
16A 14v DC Power Supply for Charge $39.99
JST-XH Wire Extension 2S (20cm) (x2) $1.50
JST-XH Wire Extension 4S (20cm) $.79
RC Lipo battery safety bag $16.99
4s to 2s adaptor XH to EH $9.99

Shipping $45.93
Parts $227.93

Total of $273.86

Not bad really for start to finish. Although its not high end stuff, ive heard good reviews about it. Any one here have experience with the Zippy's or the 8150?

Sabor
08-25-2009, 05:14 PM
I just ordered Savage Flux and exact same lipo's (ZIPPY Flightmax 5000mAh 2S1P 30C). Can't wait to get these :) Still need to find a good charger for those. Do I need some adapter or something else for my Flux, or are these lipo's just plug and play (of course with correctly loaded etc.)? All this is kinda new for me....

88gtanotchback
08-25-2009, 10:15 PM
the Zippy's come with the deans, connectors. then depending on your charger you may need a balance plug adapter. Not positive on that as i'm new too. lol

Aero007
08-25-2009, 10:39 PM
sabor> those lipo packs have "JST-XH" balance connectors aka as electrifly, or align connectors.

this on can charge up to 10A
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7386&Product_Name=GT_A-6-10_200W_Balance_charger_&_discharger

with 2 y-split harnesses you can charge them both at the same time.

88gta> good picks!

Sabor
08-26-2009, 03:19 AM
Awesome, I was unsure if those had Dean connector or not. Nice, gotta get charger and that kind of y-split harnesses and I am good to go :) Going to be really awesome get my truck running next week! Trying to do an update here then. Thanks for the help!